Are you working for a living?
I’d been thinking of it in a negative context. As one of those who hasn’t won the lottery (yet!), inherited wealth (not on the cards unless I get a call from some far flung shore about an unknown relative) or recently found a load of bitcoins on my harddrive, I’m still in the business of earning my keep!
But then I turned this phrase around in my mind and focused on the “living” part of it. We can talk and think of our jobs, careers, businesses in two ways :
1. Having to WORK (often in less than ideal circumstances) to pay the bills, fulfill our responsibilities, essentially as a form of “sufferance” (mild to major)
2. Working in order to LIVE (positively) a fulfilled life.
I know which version I’m staying tuned into !
If you find yourself drawn to thinking more about the WORK than the LIVE then maybe it’s time to:
- (Re)define very honestly what “living” means to you.
- Think about where you’re at right now in relation to that personal definition
- Look at what you can do this week, this month, over the next year to close the gap – one step at a time
The next time I find myself saying “I work for a living”, I’m going to emphasise (at least to myself) the last word and smile about it as I keep in mind the journey I’m on and my future goals and aspirations. I hope you will too.